Clicky

Connect with us

Politics

New voters register: 60.09 percent used Ghana Card; Total registered voters is 16,963,306

Published

on

New voters register: 60.09 percent used Ghana Card; Total registered voters is 16,963,306

The Electoral Commission has announced that a total of 16,963,306 voters have been registered in the mass voter registration exercise which ended last week.

These provisional figures were announced Wednesday by the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission, Mrs Jean Mensa at a press conference in Accra.

She explained that the figure is pending processes of de-duplication and adjudication.

More women registered

At the end of the registration exercise, a total 51.73 percent females were registered while males made up of 48.27 percent were registered.

The Upper East Region recorded the highest number of female registrants per population with 54.6 percent and the Western Region had the highest number of male registrants per population with 51.2 percent.

First time voters  

At the end of the exercise, 762,944 18-year-olds had registered as first time voters.

This, the EC chairperson said represented 4.5 percent of the total register.

With respect to 19-year-olds, the EC said 612,104 registered to bring the total number of 18 and 19-year-olds to 1,375,048 persons representing 8.1 percent of the total register.

Documents presented

Read Also  Akufo-Addo’s vision and conviction restore dignity to Ghanaians

Out of the over 16 million registered, 60.09 percent presented the Ghana Card, 37.99 percent used the guarantor system and 1.92 percent registered with the Ghana passport. 

The region with the highest persons who used the Ghana Card is the Oti Region, where 79.1 percent presented the Ghana Card followed by the Eastern Region where 78.5 percent presented the Ghana Card. 

The Western North Region came third with 76.9 percent using the Ghana Card.

Guarantor system

With the guarantor system the Upper East Region recorded the highest number with 58.5 percent followed by Bono and Ahafo regions where 57.7 percent used the guarantor system.

Read Also  Prof. Opoku-Agyemang calls for equity in application of law

Without finger prints

The number of applicants registered without finger prints and would be verified on election day using the facial recognition feature are 61,995 representing 0.37 percent of the total number of registered voters.

The Upper East Region had the highest number of this class of applicants with a total of 9244 found to have problematic finger prints.

The region with the lowest number of this problem was the Ahafo Region which had a total of 813 persons with problematic finger prints.

Challenge cases

The EC Chairperson said a total of 37,762 cases representing 0.20 percent of the total register were challenged with majority of them in the Oti Region followed by the Ahafo and Volta Regions.

Read Also  Mahama’s 1m job creation is a ‘scam’ – NPP woman

Most of the challenge cases were from the border regions, she said.

Minors

The Electoral Commission noted that it has become aware that some minors have found their way unto the register and that it was confident that the challenge process which was still ongoing in various districts will help rid the register of these “illegal” persons.

Mrs Mensa said the number of persons registered as of the end of Day 36 were 16,932,492 and at the end of the two day mop-up exercise, 30,814 persons successfully registered to bring the total to 16,963,306.

Watch the video below 

EC final provisional8

EC final provisional

EC final provisional4

EC final provisional9

EC final provisional3

EC final provisional7

EC final provisional1

EC final provisional2

EC final provisional6

EC final provisional10

Writer’s email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


Source: www.graphic.com.gh

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Ghana, Switzerland to strengthen ties on mining, forestry

Published

on

Ghana, Switzerland to strengthen ties on mining, forestry

The Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Samuel A. Jinapor has said the government is focused on fostering closer collaboration with the Swiss government to further strengthen bilateral relations.

Key among the areas for collaboration were the adaption of best responsible mining practices and afforestation.

Mr Jinapor explained that the preservation of Ghana’s forest cover is critical saying that the government, through the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources was working to protect and manage the country’s natural resources as well as reduce the impact of deforestation on climate change.

The Minister stated this on Monday, 27 September 2021 when the Swiss Ambassador to Ghana, Philipp Stalder called on him in Accra.

Read Also  Prof. Gyampo’s governance perspective on launch of 2020 NPP Manifesto

Mr Jinapor further highlighted efforts being made by Ghana to develop an efficient land administration system.

On the Greening Ghana initiative, the Minister commended the Swiss Ambassador for leading his team to plant trees and touted the many areas of cooperation the two countries can work at.

He said the Greening Ghana programme will be scaled up next year.

For his part, Mr Stalder said there is room for investment under the Paris Agreement in the protection of the environment and mitigation against climate change.

He explained the relevance of mining in the development agenda of both countries and pledged to work with the government to tackle the issues relating to deforestation and climate change.

Read Also  NPP, NDC must work together - Speaker

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

We’ll end shortcuts in procurement – Ameyaw-Ekumfi

Published

on

We’ll end shortcuts in procurement – Ameyaw-Ekumfi

The Chairman of the newly-inaugurated Board of the Public Procurement Authority (PPA), Professor Christopher Ameyaw-Ekumfi, has promised to end “shortcuts” in procurement at the ministries, departments and agencies of the state.

Professor Ameyaw-Ekumfi said for the public purse to be truly protected, procurement irregularities needed to be weeded out.

“We are going to work with the law and all the shortcuts in procurement will be done away with to assist the President and his government in ensuring that the public purse is indeed protected,” Prof Ameyaw-Ekumfi said.

He gave this assurance at the swearing-in ceremony of the nine-member board in Accra on Monday, 27 September 2021.

Read Also  The alternative is still scary – Gabby mocks Mahama

Other members of the Board are Diana Asonaba Dapaah, a Deputy Minister of Justice, Frank Mantey, Hayford Amoh, Ernestina Swatson Eshun, Dr Alhassan Iddrisu, Samuel Richard New Baidoo, Isaac Kofi Amoah and Patricia Sarfo.

According to Prof Ameyaw-Ekumfi, a former Education Minister in the erstwhile John Agyekum Kufuor-led government, issues of procurement remain sensitive to the Ghanaian hence the need to treat same with diligence to give the citizenry value for money.

The Auditor-General reports over the years, he observed, have been replete with procurement breaches causing the state thousands of cedis; a trend he said the Board he chairs would be working to eliminate.

Read Also  Prof. Gyampo’s governance perspective on launch of 2020 NPP Manifesto

A Deputy Minister of Finance, Dr John Kumah, swearing in the Board said it plays an essential and pivotal role in the application of the public financial management regime and the members must strive to live up to that expectation.

“You have an enormous task not only in ensuring that the Authority successfully achieves its mandate but also work to improve its image and the procurement profession in our country,” Dr Kumah, MP, Ejisu charged.

The government, he said, expects the Prof Ameyaw-Ekumfi chaired Board to “be one which continuously strives for innovation and sustainability in the conduct of procurement through electronic systems to ensure greater transparency, accountability and value for money”.

Read Also  I rejected GH¢100k, a car to join NPP’s campaign – Popular boxer

Continue Reading

Politics

'Blatant lie': Mahama, Ofosu-Ampofo's hands clean in fake pregnancy saga – NDC

Published

on

'Blatant lie': Mahama, Ofosu-Ampofo innocent in Taadi fake pregnancy, kidnapping saga – NDC

The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has described as a “blatant lie”, claims by one Ernest Owusu Bempah that former President John Dramani Mahama and the party’s national chairman, Mr Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo, masterminded the recent alleged kidnapping of a “fake” pregnant woman in Takoradi in the Western region.

The NDC, in a statement, said the tone and substance of the baseless accusation show that Mr Owusu Bempah had the support of the government “to spew this wicked, malicious and contemptuous accusation in order to reduce the heat the government has drawn to itself as a result of its manhandling of national security challenges and the apparent loss of a firm grip on governance”.

Read Also  I rejected GH¢100k, a car to join NPP’s campaign – Popular boxer

The statement noted that Mr Mahama and Mr Ofosu-Ampofo do not have any hand whatsoever in the happenings in the Western Region, nor are they linked in any way to any of the characters in that alleged kidnapping saga.

The party has, thus, called on its supporters and the public to treat the claim by Mr Owusu Bempah with utter contempt as there is no merit in same.

The party further called on its supporters to constantly hold the Akufo-Addo government to account and to remind the government to honour its sacred duty of securing the lives and properties of Ghanaians.

Read Also  Why I accepted to be Akua Donkor's running mate - radio host Adakabre

According to the police, 28-year-old Josephine Panyin Mensah faked her nine-month pregnancy and kidnapping to save her marriage.

Before she confessed, Mr Bempah, at a press conference, accused Mr Mahama and the NDC National Chairman of being behind her kidnapping.

Ms Mensah, now a suspect, appeared in court for the first time on Monday, 27 September 2021, but pleaded not guilty.

She is facing two charges of deceiving a public officer and publication of false news with intent to cause fear and panic.

She was admitted to a bail bond of GHS 50,000 with two sureties.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read Also  Akufo-Addo’s vision and conviction restore dignity to Ghanaians

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Akufo-Addo 'luxury' trips: 'Our morale very high; no disquiet in air force' – GAF

Published

on

Akufo-Addo 'luxury' trips: 'Our morale very high; no disquiet in air force' – GAF

The Ghana Armed Forces has said the morale of its personnel has never been so high contrary to claims by North Tongu MP Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa that President Nana Akufo-Addo’s preference for chartering ‘luxurious’ jets for his foreign trips, is raising concerns among the air force.

In a recent open letter to the president, Mr Ablakwa said: “Ghanaians deserve and demand to know from you why you prefer alien luxury aircrafts operated by foreign crews when our celebrated Air Force professionals with unquestionable loyalty trained at significant expense to the taxpayer guarantee better security for our presidents — an action creating considerable disquiet within the ranks of the Ghana Air Force”.

However, the Ghana Armed Forces said in a statement signed by Commander Andy La-Anyane, Acting Director Public Relations, that: “We wish to state unequivocally that this allegation is untrue and without basis”.

Read Also  Mahama’s 1m job creation is a ‘scam’ – NPP woman

“For the avoidance of doubt, the morale of personnel, not only in the Ghana Air Force, as is being alleged, but the entire Ghana Armed Forces, has never been at a very higher level”.

Read the army’s full statement below:

RE: THERE IS DISQUIET WITHIN THE RANKS OF THE GHANA AIR FORCE – ABLAKWA ALLEGES

The attention of the Ghana Armed Forces has been drawn to a disturbing story carried on Ghanaweb on Tuesday 28 September 2021 which was sourced from the Facebook timeline of Honourable Member of Parliament for North Tongu, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, alleging “there is some form of disquiet within the ranks of the Ghana Air Force with President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s preference for luxurious aircraft operated by a foreign crew”.

We wish to state unequivocally that this allegation is untrue and without basis.

Read Also  Akufo-Addo’s vision and conviction restore dignity to Ghanaians

For the avoidance of doubt, the morale of personnel, not only in the Ghana Air Force, as is being alleged, but the entire Ghana Armed Forces, has never been at a very higher level.

Personnel of the Ghana Armed Forces appreciate the numerous additions that the government has made for the smooth running of operations, including accommodation for troops and their families, vehicles to enhance mobility, review of salaries amongst many others.

Troops also appreciate the efforts being made by the government in retooling the Force with the acquisition of a number of platforms including warships for the Ghana Navy, Armoured Personnel Carriers for the Ghana Army, various aircraft including a strategic lift for VIPs for use by the Ghana Air Force and many others.

Read Also  EC urged to ensure free and fair 2020 elections

It is also important to state that the fighter squadron of the Ghana Air Force is currently being retooled by the government to augment the professional posture of the Ghana Air Force.

The Ghana Armed Forces wishes to advise the general public to treat the allegations of disquiet within the ranks of the Ghana Air Force with the contempt it deserves.

Additionally, we wish to entreat all Ghanaians, including politicians, not to drag the Ghana Armed Forces into partisan politics. Our mandate as captured in the 1992 constitution is to defend the territorial integrity of Ghana and we should be allowed to focus on our mandate.

Finally, we wish to assure the general public once again that the morale of troops is very high. 

SIGNED

ANDY LA-ANYANE

Commander

Acting Director Public Relations

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Gov’t to fit LPG cooking systems in over 1,000 public institutions

Published

on

Gov’t to fit LPG cooking systems in over 1000 public institutions – Dep Energy Minister

Deputy Energy Minister Andrew Egyapa Mercer has said the government intends to fit Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) cooking systems in over 1,000 public institutions, especially high schools, colleges, prisons and clinics.

According to the Sekondi Member of Parliament, the government shall also facilitate the provision of access to about 20,000 commercial caterers, including service providers under the Ghana School Feeding Programme.

Speaking at a virtual dialogue on Clean Cooking on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly on behalf of his boss Dr Matthew Opoku Prempeh, Mr Mercer said these efforts are under the aegis of the ‘LPG for Development Programme’.

Read Also  Akufo-Addo’s vision and conviction restore dignity to Ghanaians

“Implementing the LPG4D will lead to 10-14 million more people using LPG, about 12,000 to 19,000 lives saved, prevention of cumulative deforestation of 127 million to 221 million trees, reduction in carbon dioxide equivalent emissions by 9.2 million metric tonnes and reduction of Black Carbon equivalent emissions by 16.63 million metric tonnes together with the economic value of $ 47.74 million,” he said.

He continued that “the overall economic benefit of LPG for Development Programme would be immense and the government would have achieved its goal of 50% access to LPG by the year 2030 and by so doing, take a giant step in the transition to clean energy in Ghana”.

Read Also  EC urged to ensure free and fair 2020 elections

Mr Mercer indicated Ghana’s acceptance of the call to action on clean cooking for all and said clean cooking will be a priority in the country’s national planning.

“We seek the support of member states in achieving these ambitious declarations,” he added.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

'Blatant lie': Mahama, Ofosu-Ampofo innocent in Taadi fake pregnancy, kidnapping saga – NDC

Published

on

'Blatant lie': Mahama, Ofosu-Ampofo innocent in Taadi fake pregnancy, kidnapping saga – NDC

The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has described as “blatant lie” claims by one Ernest Owusu Bempah that former President John Dramani Mahama and the party’s national chairman Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo masterminded the recent alleged kidnapping of a “fake” pregnant woman in Takoradi in the Western region.

The NDC in a statement said the tone and substance of the baseless accusation shows that Mr Owusu Bempah had the support of the government “to spew this wicked, malicious and contemptuous accusation in order to reduce the heat the government has drawn to itself as a result of its manhandling of national security challenges and the apparent loss of a firm grip on governance”.

Read Also  I rejected GH¢100k, a car to join NPP’s campaign – Popular boxer

The statement noted that Mr Mahama and Mr Ofosu-Ampofo do not have any hand whatsoever in the happenings in the Western Region, nor are they linked in any way to any of the characters in that alleged kidnapping saga.

The party has, thus, called on its supporters and the public to treat the claim by Mr Owusu Bempah with utter contempt as there is no merit in same.

The party further called on its supporters to constantly hold the Akufo-Addo government to account and to remind the government to honour its sacred duty of securing the lives and properties of Ghanaians.

Read Also  Akufo-Addo’s vision and conviction restore dignity to Ghanaians

A 28-year-old woman, Josephine Panyin Mensah according to police report faked her nine-months pregnancy and kidnapping to save her marriage.

Before she confessed, Mr Bempah at a press conference accused Mr Mahama and the NDC national Chairman of being behind her kidnapping.

Ms Mensah, now a suspect appeared in court for the first time on Monday, 27 September 2021 but pleaded not guilty.

She is facing two charges of deceiving a public officer and publication of false news with intent to cause fear and panic.

She was admitted to a bail bond of GHS 50,000 with two sureties.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read Also  Prof. Opoku-Agyemang calls for equity in application of law

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook

Trending