Clicky

Connect with us

Buzz

newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Tuesday, 24th August 2021

Published

on

newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Tuesday, 24th August 2021

1. Court Orders Resident Doctors To End Strike Immediately
The National Industrial Court, Abuja division, on Monday ordered the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) to suspend its nationwide strike.

Naija News reports the resident doctors on August 2, embarked on strike action, accusing the federal government of failing to implement agreements it had with their union on issues including salaries, hazard allowances, and others.

The strike embarked upon by the doctors had been expected to be close to a peaceful resolution until the resident doctors on Sunday told the federal government they won’t sign the memorandum of understanding put on the table by the government team.

The doctors accused the government of insincerity in its dealings, hence their inability to trust what is contained in the memorandum again since they’ve been deceived previously.

The federal government had before Sunday’s meeting instituted a suit against the association, asking the court for an order of interlocutory injunction restraining the doctors from continuing with the industrial action.

Ruling on Monday, John Targema, the judge, asked all parties in the suit to suspend all forms of hostilities and maintain status quo.

He stated that this should be done pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.

2. Treat IPOB As A Proscribed Organization – IGP Issues Fresh Order To Police
The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba on Monday told operatives of the Nigeria Police not to hesitate in dealing decisively with members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

The Police boss who reiterated that the group, led by Nnamdi Kanu has been proscribed by the federal government told police operatives not to allow them (IPOB) to cause any disturbances in any location or under any guise.

The IGP issued the fresh order while speaking at Delta State during a visit to the Police Command in the state.

Read Also  Attempted Knife attack against Malian President

He cautioned that only a bridge separates Anambra and Delta States (particularly Onitsha and Asaba), hence whatever happens in either state has a great probability of spilling to the other.

3. Blackout As Electricity Grid Suffers First Collapse In August
The nation’s power grid has suffered its first collapse in the month of August, plunging parts of the country into a blackout.

In a message to its customers on their Facebook pages, Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKDC) and the Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company said the collapse occurred around 1:00pm on Monday.

According to the EKDC, the electricity grid collapse was attributed to the loss of 611 megawatts at two power stations.

Efforts are in progress to rectify the situation.

4. EFCC Reveals Why It Broke Into Dorathy’s House
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has revealed why it invaded the residence of a former housemate in Big Brother Naija reality show, Dorathy.

Naija News had earlier reported that the reality tv star in a post on her Instagram account lamented how it is unsafe to stay in Nigeria after EFCC operatives broke into her house

Dorathy had claimed that the commission invaded her residence, claiming that they are after a suspected internet fraudster.

The anti-graft agency while reacting in a statement on Monday however said its operatives broke into her residence because they refused to open the door.

5. Atiku Visits Obaseki In Benin, Discuss Strategies For Winning 2023 Election
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar was in Benin, the Edo State capital on Monday where he held discussions with the state governor, Godwin Obaseki.

Naija News gathered the meeting between the two leaders discussed how the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will emerge victorious at the 2023 general elections.

Strategies on how to strengthen and reposition the party ahead of the 2023 general elections were said to have featured prominently in their discussions.

Read Also  “An Artiste That Left Me Outside His Gate One Time Dey Find Collab Now” – Blaqbonez Throws Jibe

Other issues discussed include the challenges of insecurity in the country as well as matters touching on governance.

6. Justice Egwuatu Signs Order For Sunday Igboho’s Aides Release From DSS Custody
Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday signed the release order of four aides of embattled Yoruba activist, Sunday Igboho.

Naija News recalls that the Department of State Services, DSS, had in July 1st arrested 12 aides of the agitator after attacking his house and killing two other people.

Sunday Igboho who narrowly escaped assassination was later arrested in Benin Republic while trying to board a flight to Germany alongside his wife, Ropo, who has since regained her freedom.

However, his arrested aides were arraigned in court for aiding Sunday Igboho in stocking pilling arms.

Though the aides were later granted bail but the judge who was supposed to sign their release order failed to do so, which resulted in them spending 53 days in DSS detention.

But Justice Egwuatu on Monday ignored the persistent argument of the DSS lawyer, Idowu Awo, and signed the Release Order of four of the detainees.

7. Court Suspends Secondus As PDP National Chairman, Member
The High Court of Rivers State on Monday stopped the embattled Prince Uche Secondus from parading himself as National Chairman or member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The injunction was granted Monday by Hon. Justice O. Gbasam of the Degema Judicial Division Vacation Court sitting in Port Harcourt.

The development followed a suit No: PHC/2183/CS/2021 filed by Ibeawuchi Ernest Alex, Dennis Nna Amadi, Emmanuel Stephen and Umezirike Onucha against Uche Secondus (1st defendant) and the PDP (2nd defendant).

8. Strike: Ngige Reacts As Court Orders Resident Doctors To Return To Work
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige has welcomed the court order which directed the striking resident doctors in Nigeria to resume work.

Read Also  OAP Kemi Smallzz loses her father

According to the Minister, however, the order won’t stop the federal government from implementing its own side of the agreement in the fresh memorandum of understanding put on the negotiation table with stakeholders in the health sector over the weekend.

He made this known on Monday through a statement issued by the Deputy Director, Press, in the ministry of Labour and Employment.

9. FG Releases Shortlisted Candidates For N-Power Batch C
President Muhammadu Buhari-led government on Monday released shortlisted candidates for N-Power Batch C.
The National Social Investment Management System, (NASIMS), disclosed this in a statement released on it website.

NASIMS directed all applicants to update their profile and take tests for possible shortlisting to the next stage of the N-Power application process.

It noted that all successful candidates would be forwarded a mail on how to go about the next step, while candidates that are not selected can re-apply for the next batch.

10. “Mother Of The Nation”: Buhari Mourns As Former Nigerian First Lady Dies
President Muhammadu Buhari has described the late Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi, the wife of the first military Head of State, late General J.T Aguiyi-Ironsi as a light that shone brightly during the dark times of Nigeria.

The President who noted that Victoria never stopped working for the country, even after her husband was killed during a coup process said she will always be remembered for her motherly roles.

Buhari spoke in a condolence message to the family of the deceased who died in the early hours of Monday, 23rd August.

The President’s message, signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina prayed that her labours over Nigeria will not be in vain.

Those are the top Nigerian newspapers headlines for today.

Riddimsghana.com

pack

mygh.online/african-news/newspapers-headlines-in-nigeria-for-today-tuesday-24th-august-2021/

Buzz

Family forces pastor to marry lover’s corpse after she died during abortion.

Published

on

Family forces pastor to marry lover’s corpse after she died during abortion.

The family of a pastor’s fiancée forced him to marry her corpse after she died during abortion.

Reports say the Nigerian man of God who has a church in the Akwakuma area of Owerri confessed to killing his pregnant fiancée, Chioma while trying to abort the pregnancy without her consent.

According to the reports, he and the deceased had been dating for about five years and got engaged in 2020 while preparing to do their white wedding soon.

He allegedly invited the lady later and served her a drink laced with a substance that made her unconscious.

He then rushed her to the hospital where doctors declined to perform the abortion any further but he allegedly insisted they do it. In the process of doing the abortion, the lady who was still unconscious began to vomit blood.

Sensing danger, the man of God again rushed her to another hospital for treatment but she did not survive.

The pastor was subsequently freed on bail and allegedly agreed with the deceased’s family to marry her corpse.

He then performed all necessary rites after which the deceased was buried.

Meanwhile, understandably, it appears the family is not entirely appeased.

Pictures of the shamed and sad-looking pastor and his beautiful now-deceased lover have been circulating online with many people reacting and expressing sadness at the development.

pack

mygh.online/african-news/family-forces-pastor-to-marry-lovers-corpse-after-she-died-during-abortion/

Continue Reading

Buzz

Yvonne Nelson’s ex, Iyanya gets top political appointment

Published

on

Yvonne Nelson’s ex, Iyanya gets top political appointment

Nigerian singer, Iyanya Onoyom Mbuk, has been appointed the Senior Special Assistant on Tourism and Entertainment to the Cross River State Governor, Ben Ayade.

The singer made the announcement in a post via his Instagram account on Wednesday night.

He also thanked the Governor for finding him worthy to handle such a position, adding that he will do his best and carry out his duties diligently.

“It’s forward ever and backward never. I have been appointed the Senior Special Assistant on Tourism and Entertainment to the Cross River State Governor, Ben Ayade.

“I thank God who made this possible and also my Governor for finding me worthy to handle this position,” he said.

Read Also  I’m A Naija Boy — US. Rapper DaBaby [VIDEO]

He rose to fame after winning the first season of Project Fame West Africa and is best known for his hit single ‘Kukere.’

Iyanya became very popular in Ghana after dating actress Yvonne Nelson.

Singer Iyanya bags political appointment

pack

mygh.online/african-news/yvonne-nelsons-ex-iyanya-gets-top-political-appointment/

Continue Reading

Buzz

Coup attempt hits Guinea

Published

on

Coup attempt hits Guinea

Guinea’s special forces claimed Sunday to have captured President Alpha Conde and “dissolved” the country’s institutions, in a video sent to an AFP correspondent, while the defense ministry said it had repelled their attack on the presidency.

“We have decided after having taken the president, who is currently with us (…) to dissolve the current constitution, to dissolve the institutions; we have also decided to dissolve the government and the closure of land and air borders,” said one of the uniformed and armed coup plotters in the statement, which has also been widely circulated on social networks but has not been broadcast on national television.

Read Also  Pictures: Woman gives birth to nine babies at the same time

The coup plotters, with whom AFP’s correspondent confirmed the source of these images, broadcast a video of President Conde in their hands. They ask him if he has been mistreated, and Alpha Conde, in jeans and a shirt on a sofa, refuses to answer them.

Latest News In Ghana. Click Here To Read Our Latest News Stories

For its part, the Ministry of Defense said in a statement that “the insurgents (had) spread fear” in Conakry before taking the direction of the presidential palace, but that “the presidential guard, supported by the defense and security forces, loyalists and republicans, have contained the threat and pushed back the group of attackers.

Read Also  Crocodile killed in Lagos (photos)

Watch the video below

 africanews.com

mygh.online/african-news/114811/

Continue Reading

Buzz

ECOWAS Demands Alpha Conde’s Release

Published

on

ECOWAS Demands Alpha Conde’s Release

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has ordered the immediate release of Guinea President, Alpha Condé.

It follows an uprising in that country Sunday by some members of the elite branch of its army, the Special Forces which saw the arrest of the Guinean leader.

The mutinous soldiers led by one Colonel Mamady Doumbouya also proceeded to declare dissolution of parliament and a suspension of the country’s constitution and asked all Ministers and key office holders of the toppled Condé administration to report at the State House Monday morning.
In a statement, however, Ghanaian President Akufo-Addo who is also the Chairman of sub-regional group ECOWAS noted with great concern the political developments which have occurred in Conakry, capital of Guinea.

Read Also  Father who punched 5-year-old son to death over cheesecake pleads guilty to homicide

It condemned unreservedly the action of the soldiers and demanded respect for the physical safety of the President, Alpha Condé, and his immediate and unconditional release, as well as that of all arrested persons.

Latest News In Ghana. Click Here To Read Our Latest News Stories

“ECOWAS also demands a return to constitutional order on pain of sanctions”, the statement said whilst reaffirming its objection to any unconstitutional political change.

“We ask the Guinean defence and security forces to remain in a constitutional posture, and express our solidarity with the Guinean people and their Government”, it insisted.

DailyGuide

mygh.online/african-news/115114/

Continue Reading

Buzz

Police in Burkina Faso following murder of woman, suicide attempt by husband

Published

on

Police in Burkina Faso following murder of woman, suicide attempt by husband

The 35-year-old farm labourer, is alleged to have butchered his wife and attempted to slit his throat.

The team, made up mainly of the police and leader of the Burkinabes in Assin Koforidua, and an interpreter, left for Burkina Faso, on Thursday.

The interpreter is to help unravel the reason behind the murder as the couples’ two sons, aged two and four, who witnessed the killing of their mother, speak only their local dialect.

Latest News In Ghana. Click Here To Read Our Latest News Stories

Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Okyere Andam, the Assin South District Police Commander, who confirmed the story, told the Ghana News Agency that the police would go all out to ensure that Justice prevailed.

Read Also  Crocodile killed in Lagos (photos)

theheraldghana

mygh.online/african-news/police-in-burkina-faso-following-murder-of-woman-suicide-attempt-by-husband/

Continue Reading

Buzz

ECOWAS condemns Guinea coup, demands immediate return to constitutional rule

Published

on

ECOWAS condemns Guinea coup, demands immediate return to constitutional rule

The bloc has also ordered the immediate and uncondtional release of President Alpha Conde, and all other persons arrested in the power seizure by unnamed soldiers calling themselves the National Committee for Reconciliation and Development.
“ECOWAS reaffirms its objection to any unconstitutional political change,” said a statement issued in Accra by Chairperson of the ECOWAS Authority, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo of Ghana.
“We ask the Guinean defense and security forces to remain in a constitutional posture, and express our solidarity with the Guinean people and their Government,” the statement said.
The soldiers, reportedly led by a former French Legionnaire, Lieutenant Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, announced that they had seized power and arrested 83-year old President Conde, and suspended the Constitution of the West African nation.
They appeared on national television, with some draped in the red, gold and green flag of Guniea, to announce that the Government had been dissolved because of unbridled corruption.
Those behind the coup said that all land and air borders had been closed for a week.
However, according to a BBC report, the Defence Ministry said forces loyal to the president had “contained the threat and repelled the group of assailants”.
Earlier, the only bridge connecting the mainland to the Kaloum peninsular, which houses most ministries and the presidential palace, was sealed off while many soldiers, some heavily armed, were posted around the palace, a military source told Reuters news agency.
There are unconfirmed reports that three soldiers have been killed.

President Condé was re-elected for a controversial third term in office amid violent protests last year.

Read Also  Two police officers killed in Rivers state
The veteran opposition leader was first elected in 2010 in the country’s first democratic transfer of power.
Despite overseeing some economic progress, he had since been accused of presiding over numerous human rights abuses and harassment of his critics, the BBC said.

GNA

mygh.online/african-news/115330/

Continue Reading

Trending

Facebook

Trending