Selly Galley has just been back on social media for two weeks and is already in hot water.
Fraudsters are using her picture and likeness to defraud people close to her of large quantities of money.
Selly Galley turned to social media to report that some of her friends have already been fooled and that others should be wary of getting duped.
According to her account, the scammers use WhatsApp to contact persons close to her.
Mrs Fiawoo or Selly Galley is their Whatsapp ID, and they have her photo as a DP.
They are requesting a sum of money to be transferred to a name and phone number she mentioned in her post, according to Selly.
In a blog post, she described their strategy:
“FRAUD ALERT! 🚨 🆘❌ Seriously heart breaking. This friend of mine has ALSO just been duped of money she even had to borrow, just to transfer to these fraudsters thinking it was me. This is the modus operandi
1. This number will contact you 0238288784
2. They use my image/pictures as their WhatsApp dp
3. The name MRS FIAWOO or SELLY GALLEY May show as their WhatsApp ID 3. They demand a sum of money to be sent to one DITH MINTAH on Vodafone number 0502204712 claiming I am helping this dith girl out of a situation
4. They even tell you my husband will refund the money in my absence or I’ll refund in later
5. PLEASE MY GOOD PEOPLE DON’T FALL FOR THIS SCAM IN ANY FORM OR MANNER! I know nothing of this and these are not my contact numbers. Be cautioned. Be warned they may use different numbers and different popular personalities, friends or @beauty_room_makeover is another victim Gyimifuo… we will fish you out!”
Vodafone Ghana had replied to Selly’s tweet and would be attempting to weed out the fraudsters, according to the following post by Selly.